Thursday, August 27, 2015

Maryland Welcomes You Back to School



A lot of Maryland went back to school this week or will be going back next week.  Some Maryland teachers wanted to welcome you back to school with this little linky party.  We will be sharing some tips, pictures, and products to help you transition to a new school year!

I'm going to share a few things that I did on my first day back.  Be sure to check back next week for my big classroom reveal!

My county was one of the earlier ones to go back.  Teachers went back on the 17th and students went back on the 24th.  So today is my 4th day of school!

We've been working on routines and expectations.  I have a good class that really knows how to follow directions.  I'm excited because we'll get to accomplish great things this year!  I also have a student teacher for the first time in the beginning of the year.  It is wonderful having help and I think my students are really going to benefit from her being there.


One thing I did differently this year was take a picture of every student on the first day holding a sign that I made.  By the end of the day, I emailed the picture to each parent so they could see their little darling enjoying second grade!  My parents were very thankful that I took the time to do this.  It also gave me the opportunity to learn a bit more about the students when the parents shared some information with me in their thank you email.



We also started the Daily 5 this week.  Our team read the book this summer and we're all trying it together.  I love it so far!  It really helps with setting expectations.  We jumped right in on day 2 of the school year.  We usually have filler getting to know you activities, but we decided we didn't need a full week of those activities and we should start this right away.  I'm sure I'll be posting more about Daily 5 as we go on, but for now, I can definitely see why teachers love it!


This is an old picture, but we are also getting ready for Back to School Night.  It is much earlier this year than in other years.  Usually we have at least 3 weeks of school before BTSN.  This year, we have during the 2nd week of school.  So we are already busy preparing for this night.  My students are going to be completing my Second Grade Rocks activity to leave on their desks for their parents to see next week.



Even if you don't teach 2nd grade, you're in luck!  I've made this product for Kindergarten through 5th grade.  Just click on the cover below to find the appropriate grade for you.



I hope you've found something useful to use in your classroom this year.

What are your favorite Back to School activities or resources?


Follow on Bloglovin



2 comments:

  1. Taking photos and emailing them to parents is a lovely touch, you've opened up communication with every one of them in such a positive way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have my 5th student teacher this year & usually get lots of new ideas from them. I hope you have a great experience with your student teacher!

    ReplyDelete