Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tech Tip Tuesday - Using Canva to Watermark your Photos



If you want to join the linky, grab the Tech Tip Tuesday button.  Post about a technology tip.  Then link up below!

Click {here} to fill out my form if you are interested in helping me improve my tech tips. If you give me an idea of what to write as a tech tip and I actually write about it, you will get to choose a product from my store for me to send to you for free as a thank you present.

*****************************


Create your watermark - can be text or can be your logo. Whichever you choose is fine, but try to be consistent.  I've been playing around with different options and I think I finally found what I like best!

I used PowerPoint to create my text.  I picked some of my favorite KG fonts.  Since I wanted my text to be white, I made the background black so I could see what it looked like.


After you create your text watermark, you want to save it as a png file.  The easiest way to do this is to select all the text.  Then right click and select the save as picture option.  Save it in a convenient place with a name that you will remember.

I wanted to use this graphic on my iPad, so I saved it to Dropbox because I can get those files on my iPad.

Now, I can take a picture using my iPad and be able to put my watermark on it without using my computer.  Here's how:

I created an account on Canva and downloaded the app on my iPad.

I took a picture using the camera on my iPad.  Before uploading it to Instagram or Facebook, I wanted to add my watermark.  I'm going to use this picture of my wedding bears to show you how I add my watermark using Canva.


Without a watermark, someone could easily share this photo as their own.  If I have my watermark on the photo, it can still be shared, but people know where it came from.  It definitely doesn't eliminate stealing photos, but it's a step that makes me feel better.

After you open Canva on your phone or iPad, you will see all the options for designs at the top. Pick whichever size you want.  In my case, I want the Instagram post size, so I will choose that one.


Then choose the uploads option on the left.  Pick your photo from the list.  You can re-size it to fit your needs.  I like to make it fill the whole box so there isn't a white border when I post on Instagram.


Then scroll down in your photos until you find your watermark.  Mine is the white box.  I uploaded 2 different resolutions, so I make sure I pick the newest one.  It will put your watermark over your photo.  Then you can re-size it and position it wherever you'd like.  You can see that I put it in the bottom right hand corner.


Once you have your image the way you'd like, choose the download option in the upper right hand corner.  You can download it as an image or as a pdf.  Choose the image option and then it is saved on your device.

Then you can post your image to Instagram and your watermark will be there for you!


What photo editing apps do you like to use?

Follow on Bloglovin



5 comments:

  1. Love this! I kept hearing about how I need to watermark my photos - this is a great step-by-step on how to do that. Thanks : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome tutorial. Thank you for sharing. I have been wanting to do a watermark with white font and couldn't ever figure it out. I had loaded a different app to use, but I don't really care for it so much. You step by step helped me get through it! I'm so excited!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip! You made the steps really clear, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks for showing us how to use Canva to make the watermark. I found your blog post through the HangingAroundinPrimary's link up for Little Fish. I am now following you on Bloglovin'. Looking forward to more of what you have to share, as I love using technology in my classroom.
    Christina
    Sea Bear’s Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was very helpful!!! I will be back more to get some more tips for my classroom! :)

    Sami @ Live & Learn: The Seibert Way

    ReplyDelete