Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Tech Tip Tuesday - Blog Post Templates



If you want to join the linky, grab the Tech Tip Tuesday button.  Post about a technology tip.  Then link up below!

Click {here} to fill out my form if you are interested in helping me improve my tech tips. If you give me an idea of what to write as a tech tip and I actually write about it, you will get to choose a product from my store for me to send to you for free as a thank you present.

*****************************


I was asked on #tptchat on Twitter how I write templates for my blog posts.  I finally have time to show you my time-saving strategy!

I participate in many linkies and I like to have similar posts each day of the week.  Much easier for me to stay organized.

I recently changed my desktop to reflect this.  Here is a picture of part of my desktop.


You can see that I have different files for the different days of the week.  I have word documents with the html code for each type of post I repeat.  Some are weekly linkies and others are monthly linkies.  I could sort my files like this in a folder, but I love the visual aspect of leaving it on my desktop.

Let me show you more about one of the days.  I'll show you my tech tip templates.  The word document is the html code for my posts.  That includes all the information at the top of this post, including the code for the picture.  Makes it so much easier than trying to find the graphic every time I write a tech tip post.

I also started having similar graphics with the tech tip on it for pinning purposes.  I keep that powerpoint file in the same place so I can constantly add those new graphics.  I also have a shortcut to the tech tip picture files located in another place.  I wanted the folder to stay in its original place, but I wanted to easily know where to drag folders of pictures for each post.


Here is the html that I have saved in the Tech Tip document.  This is what I copy and paste into a new blog post every time I write a tech tip post.
Now you can see that all I have to do is paste the html from my word document into the html section of a new blog post.  I still have to give it a title and input labels, but I don't have to worry about recreating the post, so it saves me time!


Then I'm ready to switch back to the compose section so I can edit the post easily with the new tech tip.  You can see how I've started this post with the new graphic.


After I finish writing my post, I can schedule it as far in advance as I want.  I'm actually writing this post on March 1, but I don't want it to show up on my blog until today, the 10th!  All I have to do now is get the new code from inlinkz and I'm ready to publish this post.

Since I've set the date for this post as 7am on the 10th, I just have to click on publish and it will show up at the date/time I decided!

Do you use templates for your blog posts?  What other time-saving tips do you have for bloggers?


*****************************

If you are interested in getting the codes for linking up early, you can find them in this folder on Google Drive. Once the link up closes, I will delete the file for that linkup so you can be sure to find the current ones. You don't HAVE to link up early, but the option is always there if you'd like. Just make sure you have the correct publish date/time and have clicked publish. If links aren't working when I check after 7 am EST on publish date, I will delete the link and send you an email so you can link up again after your post is published.


Follow on Bloglovin


2 comments:

  1. Great info! I love how you let us link up early, it helps me stay organized!
    CasedillaCrumbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible! My goal this summer is to convert my blog over fully to wordpress and in the process organize my posts. I love this idea of using your desktop! Thank you SO much for such an awesome tip!

    ReplyDelete