Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Favorite Things Linky - March



It's the first Wednesday of March, so that means I'm back to share a few of my favorite things!

My favorite things this month are my favorite classroom management tips.



I've used all 3 of these classroom management strategies.  I use the first and second ones this year.  My students are sprinkled so I'm very rarely walking them places and don't need the third one.

For table points, I let the table with the most points at the end of the week pick a prize from my prize box.  They love it!  The students can earn points for being quiet, showing respect, following directions, and staying on task.  Once they earn the points, they can't lose them.  However, when I want to take points away, I just add additional points to the other tables.  I tell them that they are earning points for other tables when they can't follow the rules.

I use name sticks when I want to make sure I call on a variety of students.  Each student has their name written on a popsicle stick and I pick a random student.  This encourages all students to pay attention.

The mystery walker idea was one I had to use last year with my class who had trouble walking in the hallways.  I put the names of all my students in a container and I pick one every time we walk in the hallways.  I look at it but don't tell the students who was picked.  If the student that was picked does a good job walking in the hallway, I will give them a reward of some type when we get back to the classroom.  This encourages all students to walk correctly in the hallway because they don't know who I've picked!

Head back over to the Teaching Trio to read about some more favorite things.  You can also link up over there if you'd like!

What are your favorite classroom management tips?




Follow on Bloglovin



2 comments:

  1. I use all those strategies, too! A few years ago, I started using clothespins instead of popsicle sticks so I could clip them to the edge of the container after calling on the students. However, two years ago, I started using Class Dojo! It has a Random name generator feature, so I use it all the time. I use it for my Mystery Walker, too. I even set up a "Class" in Dojo for my kids' table points so I don't lose track. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    Beth
    Adventures of a Schoolmarm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing table points and mystery walker! They are such tried and true strategies!
    On the Go Teacher Mama

    ReplyDelete