Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tech Tip Tuesday - Lexile Level - Scholastic Book Wizard


If you want to join the linky, grab the Tech Tip Tuesday button.  Post about a technology tip.  Then link up below!

Click {here} to fill out my form if you are interested in helping me improve my tech tips.

*****************************


I went to professional development last month on MAP reports.  If you don't know what MAP is, it is testing that students do in math 2-3 times a year.  Once the testing is over, teachers are able to see lots of data - including where the students are instructionally.  The company that owns the test has come out with some new reports.  I was invited to go to the training with my administrators.  Definitely an honor.

Anyway, as part of the presentation, we talked about lexile levels.  I haven't really done much with lexile levels, so this was new to me.

Lexile levels are basically ranges where students should be reading depending on grade level/age/etc.  Books have specific lexile levels and if you know where your students are reading, you'll be able to choose appropriate books on the correct level.

But you have to be careful!  You can't just look at the lexile level before giving your students a book.  You have to look at the content.

Example - 50 Shades of Gray.  Lexile level in the 2nd-3rd grade range.  You would NEVER give your 2nd or 3rd graders this book.

So make sure you read the book for content before giving it to your students.  Bottom line - don't just rely on lexile level.  Use it as one part to determine appropriate books for your students.

Now back to the point of the post - I learned about a few websites that are helpful with determining lexile level and I wanted to share them with you.  Hence, the tech tip part of this post.

Go to Scholastic's website - Book Wizard.  You can get there by clicking on the picture below.


Let's say you read a book in reading group with your students and they loved it.  Good, right?  But what happens when you aren't ready to move on to a harder book?  How are you going to pick another book for them to enjoy?  Go to the Book Wizard website.  Type in the title of the book your students loved.

My students loved Frog and Toad are Friends.  So you can see that I typed that book title into the search box. 

I started off searching for books that were similar in grade level.  Once I searched, it showed me how the books were similar.  It found books that were based around the same theme/subject.  You can see a few of those search results below.  It listed the other Frog and Toad books, but then it showed some other books.



Then I searched again, but this time I selected lexile level.  You can see below that I changed the search option by clicking in the circle next to Lexile Measure.


When I received those search results, I saw different books.  The top searches were not other Frog and Toad books.  This is good if I found that my students really didn't like the books that they read at first.  I'd still be able to pick books on the same level.
There are so many more things you can do with this site, but I think I'll save that for another time.  Definitely don't want to overwhelm you or you won't even check out this site in the first place!

What other things can you think of to do with this site?


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment