Friday, October 3, 2014

Tricks and Treats Blog Hop


Happy Friday!  Today's Freebie Friday is a little different.  I'm participating in the Tricks and Treats Blog Hop.  You'll get wonderful tricks and treats from many people (including me) and I decided this was so much better than one freebie posted on my blog today.

My trick is a good one.  It's perfect for any classroom and can be adapted based on grade level.

Table points.  Good ol' table points.
I know, this isn't a new trick.  Table points have been around forever!

Keep reading to find out my little trick that has worked wonders for me so far this year!

My students can earn points for their tables for:
-cleaning up
-working quietly (especially during small group instruction time)
-following directions
-showing respect
-almost anything that is positive behavior

Once tables earn points, I do not take them away.  They know once the points are earned, they are there to stay.

But what happens if tables are not following the rules or being disrespectful?
Those students earn points for other tables.
For example, if a student at table 2 is talking loudly and disrupting reading group time, I will give a point to each of the other tables.
It's almost like the points are lost, but my second graders don't see it that way.
So I'm still able to take away points without really taking away points.


This year, I've tried something different when it's time to clean up.  I cut out numbers using the die cut machine, laminated them, and put magnets on the back.  Then when it's time to clean up, I look for the first table that is ready.

I put the numbers in order on the board based on the order the tables were finished cleaning up.  This allows me to line students up or call them to the floor in order of being ready without me needing to remember who was first.

I've also connected this procedure to table points.  I currently have 5 tables.

Soooo..
first table ready gets 5 points
second table ready gets 4 points
third table ready gets 3 points
fourth table ready gets 2 points
fifth table ready gets 1 point

The table point incentive really encourages students to help each other clean up.  They don't want to be last and stuck with only 1 point.

I'm working up to the point where I will assign one person per table to be in charge of the number for the day.  I want them to bring their number to the board when they are ready.  Definitely need to work on procedures more before this can happen though!

And now, here's my treat.  I have a few for you!

First thing, I have a brand new Fall product that is released today.  You can download a freebie sample by clicking on the cover below.


The full product is released today AND it's listed as 50% off through Sunday night.  Get it while you can for only $1.50!


Second treat - all my fall products (excluding the new one, which is 50% off) are on sale for 20% off through Sunday.  Go stock up on those products now!

I hope you enjoyed my Tricks and Treats!  Scroll down to see the other participants so you can pick up some more tricks and treats!  You never know what you're gonna get!


Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. Cheryl, your table points idea sounds like it is working well for you guys.
    Your new product cover is so cute!
    Thanks,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ideas for table points. I know we have all heard of them or used them ourselves, but these are some great new ideas to add in :)

    Mrs. Plemons' Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. The table point idea is genius! I am going to adapt it for my lab and start dismissing kids the way you do. Anything to encourage cooperation! Thanks for sharing!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas on table points. I have used something similar and it worked great for my class, but you shared some new helpful things.
    Best wishes!
    Jen :)
    TeacherKarma.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely LOVED the table point idea! I'm definitely trying this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the cute freebie. My daughter is learning nouns, verbs, and adjectives right now so it's perfect for her. I love your 5,4,3,2,1 point system idea. Very clever!
    Thanks!
    Joya
    -liveloveserveteach

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of the loud table earning points for the other tables. I have one table that is always loud no matter who I put there. I can't wait to try it out.

    Stephanie
    The Learning Chambers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post! I love the ideas of table points. I usually do marble races with my table groups. I'm curious…how do you display or keep track of the points and what do they earn with their points?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you asked. I can't believe I forgot to include that in my post! I have a chart where I keep the tallies. It's laminated so I can erase it after each week. The table with the most points at the end of the week gets to pick from my prize box. They love it!

      Delete