Saturday, August 9, 2014

You Oughta Know - August


I'm super excited to be linking up with other bloggers this month to share things that you oughta know!  After you read my post, make sure you hop to the other blogs to see their tips.

You Oughta Know how to organize your classroom! Here are some things that I do to help me stay organized.  These are pictures from my room last year.

I keep a bin with folders for each subject where I put extra copies of things when students are absent.  I make sure I write names on papers when I put them in the folders.  Students can easily find what they missed when they come back to school.  I have 3 sets of folders in this bin - language arts, math, content (health, science or social studies) and folders for each day of the week.  If a student misses a math assignment on Tuesday, I put their paper in the math Tuesday folder.  Makes it very easy to find.


See those colored bins above the cubbies here?  Each bin is labeled with a different subject area - math, science, social studies, health, reading, writing.  I store materials for each subject in these bins.  I don't have stacks of papers everywhere and I can easily find things for different subjects.


This picture shows 2 things that really help me.  First thing is the mailboxes.  I give every student a number and the mailboxes are numbered.  Students write their name and number on every paper they turn in.  I have student helpers who file mail in the mailboxes for me.  Since the work has student numbers on it, it is easy to find the right mailbox.  I also keep a class list with numbers posted by the mailboxes in case someone forgets to write their number.

The second thing that really helps me is the bins above the mailboxes.  I have one for completed work, papers to hand out, and papers for Ms. Jones (not pictured here).  When students have notes for me in the morning, instead of handing them directly to me, they put them in the bin for me.  I check the bin after announcements each morning.  This way notes don't get lost in the classroom.  When students finish assignments, they put them in the completed work bin.  The papers to hand out bin is useful when I get mail from the front office.  I also put papers in there after I finish grading them.  The mailbox helpers know to check the bin and file mail whenever they have free time during the week so they are ready to take their mail home with them on Fridays.


I love to keep my classroom library organized in bins.  Students know they need to put the books back in the bins when they are done with them.


I keep extra supplies in bins on these shelves.  Students have access to these materials at all times.  Since the bins are labeled, they are able to return the supplies to the correct place when they are done with them. 


Since these are old pictures, some of the labels are falling off now.  I spent this summer creating new ones.  You can purchase my bin labels in my store.  As I state in the description, I can add additional labels or use a different color theme.  Just email me or contact me in my Q&A.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Classroom-Decor-Blue-Green-Bin-Labels-1378502


What is your favorite organizational tip you use in your classroom?


 photo signature_zpscb20f6f9.png
Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I always love organizational tips!

    Mrs. Plemons' Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never get enough organization tips and tricks! Thank you so much for sharing.
    Best wishes!
    Jen
    TeacherKarma.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited to find your post for the You Oughta Know Blog Hop, I've pinned you too!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete