Sunday, August 31, 2014

Weekend Reflections - First Week of School

 

This was a long week, but I'm here to share some things with you.

First, I forgot to take a few pictures for my classroom reveal last week and I did that this week.  So we'll start with some pictures.

I got a close up of my work board.  Love love Krista's work!  I can't stop buying it, but at least I have a good reason to use it!


Here's my attendance graph.  Each day my students come in to answer the question.  They move their name under their choice.  We always ask them how they are getting home from school on the first day of school.  It definitely helps us out.


One of my favorite things we did was talk about our summer selfies!  I printed some selfies from my summer and talked about them.  My students drew their own selfies and shared them with the class.


We spent some time reviewing class rules and writing our own.  It took a good hour to get this done.

Here's what we did.

1.  My kids brainstormed as many rules as they could think of.  I typed them all up on a document that was displayed through my projector.

2.  We had a conversation about changing the wording in a few of them.  Instead of saying don't do this or don't do that, we made it say the opposite.  Example - don't run around the room was changed to walk around the room.

3.  With my help, we combined rules and narrowed it down to a list of 6.  I try to keep it between 5 and 7 each year.

4.  I had them pick a rule to illustrate for our class book.  As they were writing and drawing, I was copying our 6 rules over onto chart paper.


5.  I usually have the students sign the chart to say that they agree to follow the rules throughout the year.  I took the picture of the rules before they were able to sign it though.


I learned a lot about my kids and really got to know them.  It was quite challenging teaching with a sprained ankle.  As much as I wanted/needed to sit down, I just couldn't.  I had to make sure my kids were in the right place during the math pre-test.  I had to walk around my new room to find materials because I was trying to learn the best way for storage of materials.  I had to walk students to recess, a fire drill, etc.  Lots of resting each night.

And now I will leave you with a quote from one of my students... We'll call her Jennifer for this post (not her name).

Me: Jennifer, it is really hard for you to write when you're talking to your neighbors.
Jennifer: Not for me.  I talk all the time.
Me: Ok, well the people around you are trying to focus so you need to be quiet.

Looks like I have my hands full!

Share a story from your week!  I'd love to hear from other teachers who have just gone back to school.

 photo signature_zpscb20f6f9.png
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment