Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tech Tip - Kidblog


If you want to join the linky, grab the Tech Tip Tuesday button.  Post about a technology tip.  Then link up below!

Click {here} to fill out my form if you are interested in helping me improve my tech tips.

*****************************
Today's tech tip is coming earlier than usual because of a fun blog hop also starting today.  I still wanted you to get your tech tip, so early is better than late!

Today's tip is another request.  Have you ever wanted to blog with your students but didn't know where to start?  You are in luck!  I have the answer for you today.  And it is free!

http://kidblog.org/home/

Kidblog!  To start, click on the picture above.  It will take you to the website.  Click on the big orange button that says teachers to create your account.  You have the option of signing up with your Google account or you can create your account by filling in the form.


After you sign up, you will see a page that looks like this...

http://support.kidblog.org/entries/27214870-Getting-Started-Setting-up-Your-Class-Blogs

When you click on the get started link, it will give you detailed information on how to start your blog.

When you are ready to write your posts, you will see a screen that looks like this...  I typed my first post in the text box and when I was finished, I clicked on the blue publish button.


I could schedule posts for different times or write posts with different visibility settings (private, public, password-protected).  It's really up to me what settings I want to use.

After writing my first post, I wanted to set up my user accounts for my students.  To get there, I can click on add students from the main page.  You can set up display name and passwords for each student.  Once the students have accounts and passwords, they can comment on each other's posts and write their own posts.  Teachers have the ability to monitor posts and comments.

 After you log out, you can see what your students will see in order to log in.


Students will select their username from the drop down menu and then enter their password.  I like to keep it simple and use their first names as their username.  I assigned them a password, so I made it something easy for them to remember.

Once students log in, they can write their own posts, such as this one shown below...


All of the blog posts will show up on the main page for the blog.


You can change the colors of the blog, add graphics and make it yours!  Play around with the settings to customize it to your liking.

Give this a try and let me know how it goes!

Do you use a blog with your students?  Tell us how old your students are, what you use and how you like it.

 photo signature_zpscb20f6f9.png
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment