Monday, February 17, 2014

Fables and Folktales Unit

Between MAP testing, and days off for snow and conferences, we haven't had a normal week in a long time!  We're doing the best we can, but it's rough.  I've had a lot of time to create products, but not a lot of time to use them with my students.  I'm on day 5 of my 5-day weekend and it looks like we might have a 2-hour delay tomorrow.  I was looking forward to a full day so we could get in normal teaching and then have our Valentine's Day party.  My kids were so excited about it last week.  We made a cute craft on Wednesday, but I forgot to take pictures.  I'll try to do that this week and post about it later.

In all the craziness, we started our fables and folktales unit recently.  I started off by creating a chart based on the one I found here.  We talked about the differences and what each thing in the chart meant.  They loved learning about personification and gave me lots of silly examples!

I split my students into groups of 3 or 4.  They read The Fox and The Crow from this freebie from Tech with Jen.  Her freebie is part of a larger paid product.  My students used the discussion questions in order to talk about the story in their small group.  They also used the Fable and Folktale chart to determine what type of story they just read.  We came back together as a whole class and discussed the story.  I focused on discussing the moral (or lesson) from the story.  That was something they had difficulty with.  I was impressed with their explanation for why the story is considered a fable.  They really used the information from the chart and the story to explain their thinking.  After we finished the discussion, the students filled out a storyboard showing the important events from the story.

And then Valentine's week came and we took a break from our new unit.  Then the snow and here I am planning Fables and Folktales for reading groups this week.

After talking with my intern last week, we came up with a wonderful vocabulary activity for my on grade level reading group.  The group will be reading The Frog Prince so we looked through the book for 20 vocabulary words.  We found a lot of good words in the story.  The students will use these words to play a vocabulary domino game.

Here are the directions for the game.  The students will write sentences using the words, then write their sentences with the missing vocab word on a domino that does not have the original word, then they will play the game using a partner's set of dominoes.






Here is the planning worksheet.  My students are going to complete this with my intern during seatwork/center time on the first day.  She is going to explain the game to them and then let them get started planning their dominoes.



After they write their sentences, they will get their dominoes.  They will write the sentences on the dominoes, leaving a space for the vocabulary word.  The key here is to write the sentence for a different vocabulary word than the one written on the domino.  Since we picked the words, we are giving each student dominoes with printed words.  I included blank dominoes in the product in case teachers want to pick their own words. 

While the students are playing the game on the 2nd day, they will complete a recording sheet showing what words fit in each sentence.  Then they will write 5 of their partner's sentences.  The recording sheet is for accountability purposes.  My students know that I will be checking to see what work they completed.  They need this reminder to stay on task.


This product also includes a beginning, middle, and end activity and comprehension questions for after the book.  I provided color and black and white versions of every activity.

I can't wait to see how my students do with the domino game!  I will ask my intern to take pictures of the activity so I can post some pictures of them playing the game.

You can find this activity in my newest product in my store.

What do you like to do with your students to teach vocabulary?

 photo signature_zpscb20f6f9.png
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. I know you are not necessarily a NEW blogger, but I found your blog through a TpT blog thread and I think you are just wonderful. I am nominating you for a Liebster award!
    If you want to accept the nomination, just jump over to my blog for the rules! I am your newest follower and am looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    Ellen Briggs

    http://mrsbriggsclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I will check out your blog for the Liebster award rules! You've made my day! :)

      Delete