Friday, December 6, 2013

Five for Friday (December 6, 2013) and a FREEBIE!


http://doodlebugsteaching.blogspot.com/2013/12/five-for-friday-linky-party-december-6th.html

Time for another Five for Friday.  I've been so busy that writing a blog post during the week was difficult.  My goal for December is to post at least 2 times each week.  I figured that doing Five for Friday would help me with half of my goal.  Again, thanks for the number pictures, Jen at Hello Literacy!


Me in Winter.

I got this idea from my coworker.  I told my students a noun and we brainstormed as many adjectives as we could think of that would describe that noun.  The nouns I gave them were winter-related (hot chocolate, boots, scarf, hat, etc).  I wrote the adjectives on chart paper.  Then the students drew a picture of themselves and labeled their picture using the adjectives from the chart.  I will post some of the finished products when they are done.  They just started working on their pictures today and didn't have much time.



I learned about a new math website at a meeting this week.  In math, we have been teaching the students how to add and subtract using different strategies instead of the traditional algorithm.  This is very difficult for some students and a lot of parents.  This website gives the students a chance to practice breaking apart numbers in order to add.

http://gregtangmath.com/Games/BreakApart

I haven't tried it yet with my students, but I will be adding it to our website with resources for parents.

Another math website that I love to use is Learn Zillion.  You can search by CCSS or by topic.  We use these videos when introducing new concepts.


My fourth idea is from one of my own products that I've posted about before.  I finally got around to using my Owls Fact and Opinion product.  We talked about the difference between fact and opinion.  Then the students worked with a partner to sort the statements by fact and opinion.  After they finished sorting, they wrote down their responses so I could check their understanding.




My last idea is a quiz I gave in science.  My students are learning about the moon phases.  This is a quiz where the students have to color in the missing phases and write in the names of the missing phases.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwyJ9wFepF8eMVBpOHhIemRWTDA/edit

Since you've made it this far, I think you should know that you can get the science quiz for free just by clicking on the picture.

Thanks for all your support!

-Techie Turtle Teacher
Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading your Five for Friday. Thanks for sharing!

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete